CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

C25K: An Intro and W1D1

I've always had a weird relationship with my weight. I've never really thought that I was the "right size." Until I turned 17 and got some curves, I felt too small (5'2" and 100ish lbs). Since then, I've felt too big (same height, weights shifting from 125-155). I've been lucky that these issues have always remained at the "minor discomfort" level. I have struggled with a form of anorexia, but that stemmed from my bipolar lows, rather than body image issues (I was horrified by how skinny I was becoming, but it didn't matter--in my sick mind, I believed that only "worthy" people were allowed to eat).

As a kid, I was one of those "eat an entire cow and maybe gain an ounce" body types. So I ate pretty much anything that wasn't nailed down. When I was 16 and 17, though, I worked in a Dairy Queen and quickly put on 25 pounds. At the time, I felt huge, but looking back, I think of that as my "happy weight." College brought me another thirty pounds, largely because my eating habits never changed.

Now, I'm pretty okay with my current weight (150). At 140, I decided that I could stay that weight forever, and I'd be satisfied. There's just one problem. Well, two.

I'm getting married. And I'm vain.

My gut response is "crash diet until you're 100 lbs!!!" My feminist retort is "Don't do a damn thing, and own those 150 lbs!"

After listening to both sides (and gaining a lot of inspiration from my best friend, Nicky) I've decided to do neither. My eating habits need to change. I need to be more active. I need to be healthy. So my plan is:
  1. Train to run a 5K by September, then progress to longer distances.
  2. Start a healthier eating plan.
  3. Focus on Non Scale Victories (NSV)
Along the way, I'll monitor my weight, but those are the three goals I want to emphasize. I probably will lose, but above all, I want to be comfortable in my own skin--regardless of how much fat it's carrying.

So anyway, after that rambling introduction, I went for my first Couch to 5K run through Mill Creek Park. To keep me on track (I'm terrible at timing things, especially intervals), I downloaded Richard Ullrey's C25K podcasts. My asthma attempted to be an issue for me during the run, but I tried my best to keep my breathing deep and regulated. Granted, my brisk walks were a long way from brisk, but I didn't stop. I ignored distance for this run and focused on staying in motion for the full 30 minutes. When I got home and tracked my run, though, I was pleasantly surprised:


2.44 miles? I'll take that!

0 comments: