CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Indian Run: Great Success


Well there they are--the results of my first 5K! 52:27, 79th place for women, 180th overall. Dead last in my age bracket.

And I don't really care. I never thought that I could run any race, but here I am with a 5K under my belt.

Like I said, I knew going into the race that I wouldn't be able to run the full 5K. Overall, I'd say that I ran between a third and a half of the distance. The race started out pretty well--I kept a decent pace for the first half mile (incidentally, the longest interval I ran during my abbreviated training). I tried to keep my pace brisk, but toward the end my asthma hit hard and I had to slow down a lot.

I did fall once, though I didn't really notice how scraped up my leg was until I was driving home:


I ran the final portion, which was most important in my mind. For some reason, I figured that if I started and ending by running, no matter how long I walked in the middle, it was still a success.

As I made my way toward the water/snack tent, I remembered a post I had seen on Off Beat Mama (or a similar blog, I can't remember): one midwife gives spoonfuls of honey to mothers immediately following birth. The sugar gives them an energy boost while they recover. I told Jay that for my next race, I want him at the finish line, camera in one hand, honey in the other.

Bottom line? I have a time to beat and a renewed desire to train.

1 comments:

Nicky @ Eat, Run, Read said...

Woo! Congrats on finishing! Loved seeing you as I finished the race!